Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) for UK holiday homes

30 April, 2013energy_performance_certificate

An EPC (energy performance certificate) contains information about a property’s energy usage and typical energy costs. It also has recommendations about how to reduce energy and save money. It’s also a useful tool to help you reduce carbon emissions and appeal to eco-conscious holidaymakers.

Do I need one? If you let out your home for less than four months a year, it’s not a requirement to have an EPC. Similarly, as long as you have a booking contract/agreement/permission to let/licence to occupy, then it is not a requirement.

For holiday lets in Scotland that require an EPC, it’s also a requirement for home owners to display their certificate somewhere in the property – for example, in the meter cupboard or next to the boiler.

How to get an EPC

You’ll need to find an accredited assessor who will assess your property and produce the certificate. Some useful links:

England, Wales and Northern Ireland


For more on this, see

The content of this blog is intended only to provide a summary of matters of interest. It is not intended to be legal advice.

7 thoughts on “Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) for UK holiday homes

  1. Felicity

    Are you sure about this HL? My understanding is that if the holiday home is let under an licence to occupy (the holiday letting agreement provided for our guests has always referred to the ‘Licence’, the guest being the ‘Licensee’) then an EPC is NOT required, whatever the period the cottage is let during the year.

    1. Holiday Lettings Post author

      That’s correct. If you’re letting under a licence to occupy or let for less than four months a year, then you don’t need an EPC: Thanks, Kate H.

      1. Felicity

        Sorry, Kate. I worded my reply poorly. My point is what other type of contract/agreement would anyone have with a holiday let other than “a Licence to occupy”? That surely is the one and only kind? Therefore I think your post causes confusion. Yes, you need an EPC if you create a tenancy but then it is not a holiday let so it is not relevant here. Your post will make some people think they have to have one in their holiday home – they don’t! It would be more helpful to provide them with a sample of a proper agreement/contract which is the Licence ( the guest being the Licensee) to occupy.

        1. Kate Post author

          Hi Felicity. We’ll take a look into this and post again when we have more information. Thanks for your comment. Kate H @ Holiday Lettings.

          1. Kate Post author

            Hi Felicity. We’ve looked into this. The ‘licence to occupy’ term is a great deal broader than we originally thought. A licence to occupy can be a booking contract or a written permission to let between the owner and the guest. So, you’re quite right that most people have (or should have) a booking contract in place in which case, they don’t need an EPC. We’ve updated our post accordingly. Many thanks for your comments. Kate, Holiday Lettings. This reply is not intended to be legal advice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>